Grilling corn with chipotle and lime butter requires shucking the corn and grilling it while adding the butter mixture frequently. Grilling corn on the cob is a staple summer dish that is often enjoyed at barbecues, picnics, and outdoor gatherings.
Corn is a versatile vegetable, and it can be cooked in a variety of ways, but grilling it is undoubtedly the best. The smoky flavor and charred texture that grilling impart on the corn are unrivaled. One of the best ways to elevate your grilled corn is by brushing it with a delicious and zesty chipotle and lime butter.
This seasoning adds a smoky and spicy flavor to the corn, and the lime juice gives it a refreshing tanginess. In this article, we will discuss how to grill corn with chipotle and lime butter in easy-to-follow steps.
Preparing The Corn
Grilled corn on the cob with chipotle and lime butter is a classic summer staple for barbecues and outdoor gatherings. Whether you’re a seasoned griller or a newbie, getting the corn just right can make all the difference.
Choose Good Quality Corn Ears
Choosing the right corn is essential to make the most of your grilling experience.
- Look for fresh ears of corn with bright green husks and tight leaves without any visible yellowing or decay.
- Check for plump, round kernels that feel firm to the touch when you press them.
- Smell the tip of the ear of corn to make sure it smells sweet.
How To Shuck The Corn
Shucking the corn is the process of removing the husk and silk that surrounds the kernels.
- Grab the corn ear at the top, along with the green husk’s first few leaves.
- Peel back the leaves and strip them down to the stalk.
- Pull off the rest of the husk, making sure not to remove any of the stem.
- Remove the silk from the ear of corn using a soft-bristled brush or folded paper towel.
Removing The Silk
Removing the silk can be a little tricky, but it’s crucial if you want your corn to turn out delicious.
- Start by holding the ear of corn by the stem or the end without the tassel.
- Peel back the outer layers of the husk to reveal the silk inside.
- Remove any large clumps of silk by hand.
- Use a brush or a damp paper towel to gently wipe away any remaining silk strands.
With these simple steps, you’ll be ready to grill perfect ears of corn with minimum fuss and maximum flavor. Happy grilling!
Preparing The Grill
Grilling corn can be a delicious and healthy addition to any summer meal. Follow these easy steps to prepare your grill for grilling the perfect corn on the cob with chipotle and lime butter.
Type Of Grill To Use
Before you start grilling, it’s important to pick the right grill for the job. There are several types of grills to choose from, including gas, charcoal, and electric. We recommend using a gas or charcoal grill for the best flavor.
Cleaning The Grill Grates
A clean grill will ensure that your corn doesn’t stick to the grates. Use a wire brush to clean debris and burnt-on food from the grates before you begin grilling.
Preheating The Grill
Preheating your grill is essential to achieving a consistent cooking temperature.
- Turn on your gas grill to high heat or light your charcoal grill and let it burn for at least 20 minutes until the coals are white and glowing.
- Use a grill brush to clean the grates again.
- Close the lid and let the grill heat up for an additional 5-10 minutes.
By following these simple steps, you’ll be ready to start grilling your corn to perfection. Happy grilling!
Making The Chipotle And Lime Butter
Grilling corn is a classic summer tradition that brings together smoky and sweet flavors. Adding a chipotle and lime butter to your grilled corn takes it to a whole new level. Here’s a quick guide to making the perfect chipotle and lime butter for your grilled corn.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp.
- ½ tsp.
- 1 tsp.
- ¼ tsp.
Steps To Prepare The Butter:
Chipotle and lime butter is easy to make and only takes a few minutes:
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter with the chipotle pepper, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Stir the mixture until the ingredients are well combined, and the butter becomes a pale orange color.
- Leave the butter to rest at room temperature for at least 10 minutes to let the flavors meld and infuse.
If you have leftover chipotle and lime butter, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. It also freezes well, so you can make a large batch and freeze portions for later use.
Making chipotle and lime butter is a simple yet tasty way of elevating the flavors of your grilled corn. Once you have grilled your corn to perfection, add a dollop of the butter on top and savor the flavors. So, let’s get grilling!
Applying The Butter
Grilling corn on the cob is a time-honored summer tradition, and there’s nothing better than slathering it with a chipotle and lime butter that complements its sweet flavor perfectly. But applying the butter to the corn can be a little tricky, so we’ve put together some tips to ensure that your corn comes out perfectly every time.
When To Apply The Butter
Timing is essential when it comes to applying the butter to your grilled corn on the cob:
- Wait until the corn has started to cook and is turning golden brown on the outside before applying the butter.
- Applying the butter too soon can cause it to melt and drip off the corn and into the grill.
- Also, don’t wait too long to apply the butter, or the corn will become too dry as it cooks.
How To Apply The Butter
The way that you apply the butter to the corn can make a big difference in how it tastes.
- Use room temperature butter that is soft enough to spread easily.
- Place the butter in a small dish and microwave it for a few seconds if it’s too firm.
- Gently spread or brush the butter evenly across the surface of the corn, trying to get it into all of the nooks and crannies.
Brushing Vs. Spreading The Butter
When it comes to applying the butter, you have two options: brushing or spreading.
- Brushing the butter on the corn can give it a lighter, more even coating.
- Spreading the butter on the corn with a knife can give it a thicker, more luxurious coating.
- Experiment with both techniques to see which one you prefer.
By following these tips, you’ll be grilling corn on the cob with chipotle and lime butter like a pro. So get out there and fire up the grill!
Grilling The Corn
Grilling corn is a fantastic way to add smoky and charred flavor to this summertime staple. With the addition of chipotle and lime butter, your grilled corn will be transformed into a sweet and savory delight.
Tips For Grilling Corn Perfectly
Before we dive into the specifics of grilling corn, here are some helpful tips to ensure your corn comes out perfectly:
- Keep the husks on while grilling to add more flavor and keep the kernels from drying out.
- Soak the entire corn in water for 10-15 minutes to prevent the husks from burning.
- Preheat the grill to high heat before grilling the corn.
- Rotate the corn every few minutes to ensure even grilling.
Setting Up The Grill For Indirect Grilling
To achieve the perfect grill marks and smoky flavor, we recommend setting up your grill for indirect grilling.
- Preheat your grill to high heat on one side and leave the other side off.
- Place the corn husks on the unheated side of the grill.
- Close the grill lid and let the corn cook for 10-15 minutes.
How Long To Grill The Corn
Now that you’ve set up the grill, it’s time to grill the corn.
- Grill the corn for 10-15 minutes, rotating it every few minutes for even grilling.
- Test the corn for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the kernels. If it goes in easily, the corn is done.
By following these tips and using indirect grilling, your grilled corn will come out perfectly charred and full of flavor. Enjoy it with a generous helping of chipotle and lime butter for a sweet and savory treat that’s perfect for any summer gathering.
Flipping The Corn
Grilling corn on the cob is a summer staple, especially when it’s bursting with flavor from a chipotle lime butter. However, getting the perfect char on the corn can be tricky if you don’t flip it at the right time.
Here’s a helpful guide on when to flip the corn and how to do it correctly to ensure deliciously grilled ears of corn every time.
When To Flip The Corn
- Wait for the corn to develop a golden brown color before flipping it. This usually takes around 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Don’t rush it! If you try to flip the corn too early, it can stick to the grill grates and tear apart.
- Corn has a tendency to flare up, so keep a close eye on it and use a pair of tongs to turn it over to prevent any burning.
How To Turn The Corn
- Hold the cob vertically on the grill grates with the tongs and gently turn the cob a quarter turn. This ensures even cooking on all sides.
- Keep cooking the corn for another 5-7 minutes. It should have a nice char on all sides but still be tender.
With these tips, grilling corn will be a breeze, and you’ll have a showstopping side dish for your next summer barbecue. Remember to wait until the corn is golden brown before flipping it and turn it gently with tongs for even cooking.
Your guests will be impressed with your grilling skills and the delicious chipotle lime butter will take the corn to the next level.
Testing For Doneness
Grilled corn on the cob is a popular summer treat that is easy to prepare and packed with flavor. However, determining if your corn is cooked to perfection may not always be clear. Here’s everything you need to know about testing for doneness, signs to look for, and common mistakes to avoid when grilling corn with a chipotle and lime butter.
How To Determine If The Corn Is Cooked
Corn on the cob can be grilled over direct high heat or indirect medium heat. Regardless of which method you use, the key to perfectly grilled corn lies in knowing when it is fully cooked.
- Gently press a kernel with your finger. If it gives easily and appears slightly dented, it is ready and properly cooked.
- Carefully peel back the husk from the tip of the cob. The kernels should be tender and juicy. If the corn appears to be undercooked, it may need to be grilled for a little longer.
- Another way to check for doneness is to use a meat thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the cob without touching the bone and it should read 165°f (74°c) when the corn is cooked.
Signs To Look For When Testing For Doneness
A perfectly cooked ear of corn is delicious and has some key characteristics.
- The color of the corn will go from lighter to a deeper yellow color.
- The kernels will be plump and juicy, and the cob will be hot.
- If your corn has been cooked over direct high heat, there will be grill marks on the cob.
Common Mistakes To Avoid
Grilling corn is easy, but some common mistakes can result in overcooked or undercooked corn.
- Leaving the corn in the husk for too long can cause the corn to steam and become overcooked, so it should be removed from the grill once it is done.
- Overcooking the corn can cause it to become tough and chewy, so it is essential to remove it from the grill once it is cooked.
- Undercooking the corn can result in tough kernels, so it is essential to grill it until it is cooked through.
- Not seasoning the corn with the chipotle and lime butter can result in bland tasting corn. So, make sure to generously butter the corn with this flavorful seasoning!
Grilling corn with a chipotle and lime butter is a delicious summer treat that everyone should try. By following these tips for testing for doneness, signs to look for, and common mistakes to avoid, you’ll be enjoying perfectly grilled corn in no time.
Serving The Corn
How to grill corn with a chipotle and lime butter: serving the corn
Once you have grilled the perfect corn with a spicy chipotle and lime butter, it’s time to serve it up! Here are some tips and tricks to make your corn the star of the show at your next bbq.
Removing The Corn From The Grill
Before serving, you’ll need to remove the corn from the grill.
- Use heat-resistant tongs to remove the corn from the grill.
- Lay the corn on a platter or cutting board.
- Allow the corn to cool slightly before serving – it should be warm, but not too hot to handle.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off the cob, if desired.
There are many ways to serve grilled corn with chipotle and lime butter.
- Serve the corn on the cob, brushed with the butter and sprinkled with cotija cheese and chopped cilantro.
- Cut the kernels off the cob and mix them with chopped red onion, diced jalapeño, and fresh lime juice for a spicy corn salad.
- Use the grilled corn as a base for a flavorful taco or nacho bowl, topped with your favorite proteins and garnishes.
To take your grilled corn to the next level, consider adding some garnishes.
- Cotija cheese: This crumbly cheese is a traditional mexican topping for corn and adds a salty, tangy flavor.
- Chopped herbs: Fresh cilantro or parsley adds a pop of color and flavor to your corn.
- Lime wedges: Serve lime wedges on the side to allow guests to add more citrus flavor, if desired.
- Crumbled bacon: For an extra indulgent treat, crumble cooked bacon over your corn before serving.
With these serving suggestions and garnishing options, you’ll be able to create endless variations on your grilled corn with chipotle and lime butter. Get creative and have fun experimenting with different flavors and presentations – your guests will thank you!
Pairing The Corn
Grilled corn with chipotle and lime butter is a delicious and flavorful dish that enhances the natural sweetness and crunchy texture of corn. Whether you’re preparing it for a summer barbecue or just a casual dinner, knowing what foods and drinks to serve alongside it can make all the difference.
Here are some ideas for pairing the corn to elevate your meal.
Best Dishes To Pair With The Grilled Corn:
- Bbq ribs: The smoky flavor of the ribs complements the chipotle and lime flavors in the corn.
- Grilled shrimp: The sweet and succulent taste of the shrimp balances out the spiciness of the corn.
- Avocado salad: The cool and creamy texture of the avocado brings a refreshing element to the meal.
- Tomato and cucumber salad: The acidity in the tomatoes and cucumbers contrast the heat of the corn and adds a freshness to the meal.
Types Of Drinks To Pair With The Corn:
- Margaritas: The tangy lime in the margarita enhances the lime butter in the corn.
- Beer: A cold beer is a classic and easy pairing with grilled corn.
- Iced tea: The sweetness in the tea balances the spiciness of the corn.
- Lemonade: The fresh and tart taste of the lemonade pairs perfectly with the lime butter on the corn.
Remember, when plating your meal, presentation can make a significant difference in how appetizing it looks. Therefore, consider colorful and creative plating to accompany the grilled corn with chipotle and lime butter.
Now that you know the best dishes and drinks to pair with the grilled corn, it’s time to fire up the grill and enjoy a delicious and well-balanced meal. Happy grilling!
Common Questions And Answers Related To Grilling Corn With Chipotle And Lime Butter
Grilling corn is an excellent way to capture the natural sweetness and smoky flavor, but with a touch of chipotle and lime butter, you can elevate the traditional flavor by adding a little spice and zing. Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers to help you achieve the perfect grilled corn with a chipotle and lime butter.
How Long Do You Soak Corn Before Grilling?
Soaking corn before grilling can help bring out the moisture and prevent it from becoming dry and tough. Soaking for approximately 15-30 minutes is sufficient since corn can absorb all the liquids you need in that period. However, it is not mandatory to soak corn before grilling.
How Long Does It Take To Grill Corn On A Gas Grill?
Grilling corn directly on a gas grill takes about 10-15 minutes on high heat. Rotate the corn in quarter-turns every three to four minutes to ensure even cooking.
How Do I Know The Corn Is Done Grilling?
When the corn is ready, you will notice a slightly charred exterior and tender and juicy kernels inside. If you want to ensure it’s fully cooked, insert a sharp knife into the corn kernel just above the cob. If it’s tender, it’s ready to serve.
How Do I Make Chipotle And Lime Butter?
Making chipotle and lime butter is simple and can be done ahead of time. Mix softened butter with minced chipotle pepper, lime juice, and zest. Adjust the amount of chipotle pepper to your preferred level of heat. Wrap the butter in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
How Do I Apply The Chipotle And Lime Butter To The Corn?
Grill the corn until done. Once done, brush the chipotle and lime butter mixture over the grilled corn. Allow it to melt and coat the kernels evenly with a brush or by rolling it in the mixture. Sprinkle with a little salt and your favorite chopped herbs for extra flavor.
Can I Make Chipotle And Lime Butter Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make chipotle and lime butter ahead of time. Store the butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Keep in mind the chipotle pepper flavor could intensify in time, so you may want to reduce the amount of pepper initially.
Can I Use Frozen Corn On The Grill?
Yes, you can grill frozen corn on the cob. Soak the frozen corn in water for 30 minutes before grilling. Brush with oil or butter before grilling for a couple of minutes.
How Do I Prevent The Corn From Sticking To The Grill?
Corn sticks to the grill when it’s not seasoned or adequately lubricated. Brushing the grates with vegetable oil and seasoning the corn with salt and pepper or any spices of your choice can prevent the corn from sticking on the grill.
Can I Grill Corn On An Indoor Grill?
Yes, you can grill corn on an indoor grill. Preheat the grill to high heat, and follow the same grilling directions as outlined above.
How Do I Keep Corn Warm After Grilling?
Corn loses its heat quickly after grilling, and no one likes cold corn. To keep it warm, wrap the grilled corn in foil or keep it in a warming tray or a low temperature oven to maintain its temperature until ready to serve.
Tips And Tricks
Grilled corn on the cob can be a delicious and healthy side dish for any barbecue or family gathering. With a few simple tips and tricks, you can elevate your grilled corn game to the next level.
Additional Tips And Tricks For Perfect Grilled Corn
- Soak the corn in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling to prevent the kernels from drying out.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. This is important to ensure that the corn cooks evenly and does not burn.
- Brush the corn lightly with olive oil before grilling. This will help to prevent the corn from sticking to the grill and will also give it a delicious, crispy texture.
- Use aluminum foil as a cooking vessel for the corn. Place the corn on a large sheet of foil, wrap it up tightly, and then add a tablespoon of water to steam it.
- Turn the corn occasionally while grilling so that all sides are roasted evenly. Do not leave it unattended as the kernels can burn quickly.
- Instead of butter, you can use different spices to add flavor to your grilled corn. Some popular options are garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cumin.
- If you want to add more flavor, try mixing melted butter with some chipotle seasoning and lime juice. Brush this mixture onto the corn after it has been grilled.
- For a vegetarian corn on the cob experience, you can use vegan butter or plant-based oil instead of regular butter.
- If you prefer softer corn, cook it over a lower heat for a longer time. Conversely, if you like crispy kernels, grill the corn on high heat for a shorter period.
- Finally, to add some texture and visual appeal to your dish, sprinkle some chopped fresh cilantro or parsley over the corn before serving.
With these practical tips, you’re now ready to experiment with your grilled corn recipes, and your taste buds will thank you!
Safety And Precautions
Grilling corn with chipotle and lime butter not only adds zest and zing to your favorite grilled food; it also brings a whole new level of flavor to your table. Before you start grilling, though, it’s important to take safety precautions.
Here are some tips you can follow to ensure you and your loved ones have a safe grilling experience.
Precautions To Take While Grilling Corn
- Always wear grilling gloves to protect your hands from heat burns while handling hot food.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or water container nearby to put out any fire that may occur.
- Before you start grilling, make sure the grill is clean and free from debris that can also cause a fire.
- Use long-handled tongs to turn the corn cobs while grilling and avoid using a fork that can pierce the cob and make the kernels fall off into the grill.
- Never leave the grill unattended, especially if there are children or pets around.
Tips For Safe Grilling
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the corn is thoroughly cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees fahrenheit.
- Keep the grill at a consistent temperature of around 400-425 degrees fahrenheit to properly cook the corn and prevent burning.
- Keep food separate, especially raw meats, from cooked food to prevent contamination of bacteria.
- Let the corn cool for a few minutes before serving to prevent mouth burns.
- Don’t forget to clean the grill after grilling when it is completely cool.
By following these safety precautions and grilling tips, you can enjoy a delicious meal of juicy and perfectly cooked corn without worrying about accidents or foodborne illness. Enjoy the spicy and tangy flavor of chipotle and lime butter with each bite, and make your grilling experience safe and satisfying.
Frequently Asked Questions Of How To Grill Corn With A Chipotle And Lime Butter
How Do I Prepare Corn For Grilling?
To prepare corn for grilling, first, remove the husks and silk. Rinse the corn with cold water and pat dry. Brush the corn with oil and season it with salt and pepper.
How Long Do You Grill Corn?
Grill the corn for about 10-12 minutes, turning it occasionally until the corn is charred all over.
How Do I Make Chipotle And Lime Butter?
To make chipotle and lime butter, mix softened butter with minced chipotle and lime zest. Season it with salt, then refrigerate it for an hour.
How Do I Apply The Chipotle And Lime Butter To Grilled Corn?
After the corn is grilled, brush each ear with a generous layer of the chipotle and lime butter, making sure to coat the corn evenly.
Can I Make Chipotle And Lime Butter Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make chipotle and lime butter ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze it for longer shelf life.
As we come to the end of this blog post on grilling corn with a chipotle and lime butter, we hope that you have found this information valuable. We have explored the entire process of grilling corn, including cleaning, seasoning, and grilling techniques, which will help you achieve that perfect barbecue taste.
The chipotle and lime butter combination adds a unique and delicious flavor to the corn, making it a crowd favorite at any gathering. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own signature corn dish.
Remember to always keep safety in mind when handling the grill, and don’t forget to enlist help from family and friends for an enjoyable outdoor experience. So, gather your grill, ingredients, and corn and follow these easy steps for a delicious barbecue treat.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.